Close Menu
  • Home
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Box Office
  • Streaming
  • Award Buzz
  • Reviews

Subscribe to Get Updates

Subscribe to Hollywood Zing and never miss what’s making headlines.

What's Hot

BFI London Film Festival 2026 Competition Includes Hirokazu Kore-eda

Niu Lai: Movie that went viral for terrible animation becomes China box office hit

Hayden Panettiere: Scream 4 Casting Director Pays Tribute After Death

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • DMCA / Copyright Policy
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
HollywoodZing.com
  • Home
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Box Office
  • Streaming
  • Award Buzz
  • Reviews
HollywoodZing.com
You are at:Home»Box Office»Local films outdraw Hollywood in Malaysia as Finas figures reveal 7.55 million admissions
Box Office

Local films outdraw Hollywood in Malaysia as Finas figures reveal 7.55 million admissions

By Hollywood ZIngAugust 18, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
Local films outdraw Hollywood in Malaysia as Finas figures reveal 7.55 million admissions
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 18 — Malaysian cinema audiences appear to be turning increasingly towards homegrown stories, with local films attracting more admissions than Hollywood titles so far this year.

Figures released by the National Film Development Corporation Malaysia (Finas) on its social media accounts yesterday showed that local films recorded 7.55 million admissions through July, compared with 6.94 million for Hollywood releases.

The figures offer a telling snapshot of how Malaysian productions are performing at the domestic box office, particularly as several homegrown titles have also emerged as commercial hits this year.

Five local films clear RM10 million

Five Malaysian films have hit or surpassed the RM10 million mark so far.

They are Razaisyam Rashid’s Tarung: Unforgiven, which has grossed RM20.6 million; Zulkarnain Azhar’s Polong with RM15 million; Bobby Husaini’s Libang Libu with RM14.1 million; Nazifdin Nasrudin’s Malaikat Malam with RM12.2 million; and Matt Lai’s Ah Beng vs Liang Po Po, which has taken RM10 million.

Beyond the headline grosses, Malaysian films have also repeatedly reached the top of the local box-office chart, holding the No. 1 spot for several weeks and outperforming established international releases including Mortal Kombat II and Michael.

The trend is not entirely unexpected.

In previous interviews, Finas chief executive officer Datuk Azmir Saifuddin Mutalib said the reception towards Malaysian films had become increasingly encouraging, following a strong period for the domestic industry in which several productions recorded significant box-office success.

He said five to six local films had surpassed the RM10 million mark this year, pointing to growing public interest in homegrown productions.

“A new trend we are seeing is that more and more Malaysians are choosing to watch local films,” he told local media.

The latest Finas figures appear to support that observation, with Malaysian productions not only producing several strong box-office performers but also drawing more cinema admissions than Hollywood films during the first seven months of the year.

More Malaysian titles on the way

There is still plenty of local content waiting in the wings.

Among the films due in cinemas later this year are Adrian Teh’s action crime thriller Chelot; Terbang, which tells the real-life story of legendary Malaysian rally driver Karamjit Singh; Baga: Tomorrow Belongs To No One, a crime drama directed by Ariff Zulkarnain; Takluk 2: Op Daulat, the sequel to Takluk: Lahad Datu; and Kudrat 1968, a prequel to the hit series Project: High Council.

Whether those upcoming titles can match the box-office performances of this year’s current standouts remains to be seen.

For now, however, the numbers point to something increasingly difficult to ignore: Malaysian audiences are turning up for Malaysian stories.



Credit: Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
Previous ArticleLisa Kudrow on Watching Friends, Romy & Michele Sequel, The Comeback
Next Article Hayden Panettiere: Scream 4 Casting Director Pays Tribute After Death

Related Posts

Niu Lai: Movie that went viral for terrible animation becomes China box office hit

August 18, 2026

Spider-Man swings high for third weekend in the box office

August 17, 2026

Hollywood makes dazzling comeback with $5 billion blockbusters this year

August 17, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Top Posts

5 Box Office Bombs From The 2010s That Changed Hollywood Forever

August 9, 2026

Locarno Pro Winners 2026: ‘Spring Story,’ ‘The Surubí,’ ‘Yazz’

August 9, 2026

‘Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ earns USD 1.67 billion worldwide in just 10 days; ‘The Odyssey’ sets new box office record for Christopher Nolan |

August 9, 2026

15 Best Warner Bros. Movies Of All Time, Ranked

August 9, 2026

3 Years Ago Today, We Lost Bob Dylan’s Former Guitarist, an Architect of Americana Who Scored Some of Hollywood’s Greatest Films

August 10, 2026
About Us
About Us

Hollywood Zing brings you the latest buzz from movies, celebrities, entertainment, and pop culture.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

BFI London Film Festival 2026 Competition Includes Hirokazu Kore-eda

Niu Lai: Movie that went viral for terrible animation becomes China box office hit

Most Popular

5 Box Office Bombs From The 2010s That Changed Hollywood Forever

Locarno Pro Winners 2026: ‘Spring Story,’ ‘The Surubí,’ ‘Yazz’

© 2026 Hollywood Zing. All Rights Reserved. Third-party news and media belong to their respective owners.
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • DMCA / Copyright Policy

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.